Sunday, July 15, 2012

Army Museum/Napoleon's tomb and Choc/Pastry tour-Day 11

This is a MUST!    I think Chad said it was one of his favorite sights in Paris.  We started at the Les invalides, which used to be a veterans hospital turned into a military museum.
Weapons used from the 13-17th centuries.  I have no idea how people could even move in that heavy armor.
I mean how could an arrow get through?  whats the point?
We then went over to the church that houses Napoleons tomb.  Wow was this impressive.  Still cant grasp why the French people worshiped him so much.  This is the fanciest grave I have ever seen.
Model of the complex and church

HUGE pieces of marble
going down into the crypt
So the tomb stands about 15 feet high right in the center of the dome.  His family is buried around him. The church was first built for King but obviously the revolution did away with that.
We finished our tour through the WWI and WWII wings.  The Rick Steves tour book was a must going through or you could spend a week reading through everything.  This was a truly humbling experience to see what sacrifices these soldiers went through.  To think 80 million died in WWII alone.  The paintings and films were pretty graphic but important for anyone to watch.


Onto a lighter note!  Can't go to Paris without doing a chocolate and pastry tour!!  We were SICK by the end of it though.  a good sick ;)  It took us forever to find where we were going.  Ill always remember my mom  tapping on every french persons shoulder to ask directions at every corner.  They were always nice but point and speak in French and leave us more confused.   Moral--just suck it up and get a taxi.


it was pretty typical to see a car in the position.  people are crazy crazy drivers
TAKE NOTE!  this was my favorite thing I ate on the whole trip.  These yummy pastry things--apple, strawberry, lemon, whatever you can think of.  Here at Georges L... oh words cant tell how these just melt in your mouth.  We went back 3 times.


Patrick Rodger-- best chocolate hands down. Melts in your mouth and feels like you've gone to heaven.  Chocolate will always and forever be ruined for me because of this place.  Hershey's just aint cuttin it.   I'll be ordering me a box every year to remember...

Since it was my 30th bday coming up, I wanted to splurge and buy myself a real purse! not a diaper bag.  I wanted something I couldn't find in the states--my Paris Bag.  Well this was it!  I saw it in the middle of our tour so I had to run in quick and make a scary expensive decision but I did it.  I finally bought a real purse ;)

No comments: